May 11, 2009

Miracles happen...like me finally updating my blog. We both knew this day would come, we just didn't know when. But now this day is here...finally!
To begin, I want to say THANK YOU to everyone who has had my mom and I in their prayers. It has been a trying past month, but things are looking much better. Let's start with my mom.
MOM UPDATE:
My mom had surgery to remove the tumor in her breast. They did some tests on her and found out that none of the cancer had gotten into her lymph nodes yet, which made it so much better. A little less than a week after her surgery she started radiation twice a day for five days. So things sound like they are really good. However, she has a doctor's appointment next week. The doctor has been running tests on the tumor for different things and if some of these things come back with high levels then she will have to start chemo. We are really crossing our fingers and praying that won't have to happen. Thanks again to everyone who has kept her in your thoughts and prayers.
ME UPDATE:
Remember that pink slip I got? Well, one day when I was off of work, I got a couple visitors at my house...while I was in my pajamas! Those visitors happened to be my school superintendent and principal. Go figure. They had heard that I was starting to apply to other school districts. They told me that they were doing all they could to keep my job for me, that I should really consider not applying to other places. And then the next week they pushed a revised salary schedule through the school board...so now I have a job for next year! And last week I was presented, in front of the whole school, the Teacher of Distinction award. Let me tell you, I was not expecting that. I was sitting there minding my own business trying to guess which teacher they were talking about...and then they said my name. Haha, my kids said I looked shocked and turned red. You would turn red too if you had to go in front of the whole school while a person from a radio station talked about you and the superintendent took your picture.
Let's see...the track season ended last week, so I don't have track to coach anymore this year. We have the sports awards this week, but other than that it is over. But that doesn't mean I've been any less busy. Since track has ended, I have been practicing with my Drama kids everyday after school for a little over an hour. Their last play is on Thursday and is called "Mere Mirror" and is going to be so cute! Anyone who can make it should come. It is in the Keith Claridge building on Thursday at 1:40 pm.
This summer I am teaching a College for Kids class with my good friend Jordan Boltinghouse. We are teaching Theatre Production. And it is going to be so fun. I have to say we are going to be the coolest teachers! I will also be taking a couple Master's classes. AND....I am going to Mexico, Honduras, and Guatemala for 3 weeks! I'm going to go deliver books to remote schools to start libraries and I will be visiting some of the ruins. I am going with my good friend Allen Beach! I am so excited!
So there you go. I think that should sum things up. Sorry I've been a slacker.

6 comments:

Kamala Crockett said...

Yay I'm so happy for you Katie! You deserve it! I can't believe all you do your first year of teaching! I just want to be like you! I just need to find a job first. It was fun to read an update from you!

Lindsey said...

Congratualtions on your award Katie! Thanks for the update, I'm so glad to hear that your mom is doing okay. Sometime during your busy summer, you have to stop in Tucson and see me.

tori and nelson said...

Hey! Congrats on the job! That's good that you can stop searching. =) I'm so sorry to hear about your mom. I hope everything is going well.

Dayna said...

I miss you! I can't wait to come visit! :)

Anonymous said...

this puuding tastes funny

Anonymous said...

i think its chocolate